04 November 2009

Love In Pain

there was a calm about the room. only the sound of her breath lingered. and she labored for it... she labored just to breathe once more.

it's hard to believe that it has now been 3 years since i lay in that hospital room, grieving the journey my 19-year-old baby sister was taking. and i feel odd in sharing this truth, but those few days at the UCLA medical center, tirelessly crammed in a room full of family, were some of the best days of my life. for those few days, nothing else mattered. the pain of our quickly approaching loss, anchored the love we felt for my sister; anchored the love we felt for each other. so, even though those moments were some of the hardest of my life, i look back on them fondly.

fast forward 3 years, and i find myself once again, laying in the calm of this room. only the sound of his breath lingers. and i find myself in awe of the same God that gives and takes away.

yes, i am tired. yes, carlie is tired. yes, our baby boy is a lot of work, and at times even painful. and, yes i have never felt so much love in my life, as i do now. so i have a sense, with the love that i feel now, these will be some of the moments in my life that i will look back on fondly.

enjoy.the.story.

26 comments:

  1. this brought tears to my eyes. what a great but yet sad time of your lives right now.
    meredith huntley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Thank you for sharing about your sister Gabriel. We are loved by an Awesome God who does give and take away. (great song by the way) and we have His promise of eternal life. Enjoy what life is giving you every step of the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have such a way with words Gabriel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You nailed it right on.
    They are, I promise this time you're are both in, I think is one of the greatest gifts God could adore you with. You will love coming back to this fleeting time you are in. enjoy and when you have the time, keep writing and of course PICTURES! ')

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you for sharing such a raw experience with us readers. i've followed your blog for a little bit and have fallen in love with your work!

    i too have loved and lost. my daughter to be exact. the title of your post is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a great story. What a great revelation on what it's like to love. Thanks for sharing - I love following you and Carlie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing...that brought tears to my eyes. Congratulations on your new baby boy. May he bring you much joy and happiness :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of the most beautiful posts I've read - and not a single photo.
    An admiring photographer...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love you. And Carlie. And Lincoln. So much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful post. Congratulations to you and Carlie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful... my thoughts are with you. carlie. and lincoln... and the rest of the family over the next few weeks. courtney is never far from my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful and true. I know that our loved ones are always close by, especially in joyous times like these. A million blessings to you, Carlie and Lincoln always.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations! What a sweet and beautiful story. You guys take care of each other and cherish all those memories with little Lincoln, for they grow up way too fast.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So beautiful and so right.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I feel like every time I have visited your blog recently it's been instatears but I love it. Couldn't ask for a more beautiful thing to read about. God is so so good.

    ReplyDelete
  16. If it weren't for Courtney knowing my cousin I would have never stumbled upon your story. Your little Lincoln is so precious! Congratulations Gabriel & Carlie!

    ReplyDelete
  17. beautiful, beautiful words. and a beautiful baby boy. and many beautiful memories to be made!

    ReplyDelete
  18. so beautiful. thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow, you have such a way with words. we hope you are all doing well. enjoy this moment it only gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gabriel, this is so touching. Your words just made me cry. Thanks for sharing this... enjoy the time with your beautiful little family!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am in tears with joy for you both. Our God is good, even when we can't see past our pain. Praise be to Him who gives us much more than we could ever dream for. Much love to you both!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Like I've said before,, you inspire me. Your words are touching and definitely the truth. Heavenly Father blesses us so much, we only have to recognize and accept. Love you guys!!

    ReplyDelete